After my first post on positivity, I received this email:
‘I have a question Pattie….sometimes I feel positive some days more negative…so what am I?”
UH ok well first of all, if you’re going to email me, could you at least include ONE compliment about me or my blog? Otherwise how do I know you’ve sent it to the right person???! HMM??? Just say something about my hair or personality/wisdom. Doesn’t take long. I have never been accused of asking for much (Or if I have been accused of it, those people did NOT know what they were talking about!!! They are all lying sneaks and I wish only the worst upon them!!!)
Secondly, thanks so much for emailing me!!! I love emails loads! Any emails make my day, forever! Just this once (for you only), I’m going to ignore my raging doubts and assume that your email was intended for me. Apart from anything, you’ve asked a pretty interesting – albeit dumbass – question. So let’s go!
Now it is in fact a popular misconception that humans are ever a mix of sometimes positive and sometimes negative. You shouldn’t complicate life for yourself by trying to be complex! You’re either fully positive ( ) or fully negative ( ). And if you don’t believe me, find yourself a copy of Noel Edmonds’ Positively Happy: Cosmic ways to change your life’ (‘it is impossible not to be inspired’ – Daily Mail). Edmonds is a wholly positive person ‘by nature and nurture’, with a ‘positive outlook’, ‘positive attitude to life’, and phenomenal grasp of the concept of ‘Cosmic Ordering’.
But would you like to know just one of the things Noel Edmonds and Pattie Brewster have in common? We haven’t always been this way…
“Wait, so is it possible to change then Pattie?”
Become a positive person! With…. Pattie Brewster!
There are three main reasons why people are negative people
1. They focus on what they don’t have.
2. They focus on the bad stuff they do have.
3. They’re very negative
Today we’ll tackle the first one. Hopefully it won’t take long. I’m not massively in to writing blog posts.
Focussing on what you don’t have – instead of the good things you do have have – will bring you down and keep you negative. Before I crossed over to the other side with Noel, I used to focus on my lack of human friends. I used to sit around all day on my house-chair feeling low, feeling lonely, and feeling so seriously itchy guys.
Then developed this exercise which can change your life too!
Write a list of all the things you don’t have, which you spend time wishing you did. And then for every thing you don’t have, write two things you do have. You will end up with a positive list exactly 2.5 times longer than the negative one. If you know anything at all about maths that is.
Here’s an example list (not mine, just a general one I made up, could be anyone’s at all!).
Things I (Pattie Brewster) don’t have:
- Friends (ANY)
- Dogs (because I hate them!)
- Any reason to get up daily
- Relationships with my family. Other than my brother Freddo (Freddo is my brother!)
Things I DO have:
- Self-belief/Self-love/Friendship with myself/Huge confidence
- 100 cats! (give or take… who actually counts their cats/?!?!)
- Tiny bit of cleaning to do in the day once I’m up and I’ve dirtied everything sufficiently
- A PERFECT relationship with my brother Freddo!!!! (Heya Freddo if you’re reading this!!! *)
- So many sweaters to be enjoyed on a complicated knit-rotation-system
- The toastiest-warm slippers I know!
- Anoraks wherever I want them
- Cups, straws and fizzy tango (in case anyone out there ever wants to come over?)
- Hairbraids and hairbands, movies for movie nights, pajamas, bracelet, jam, music boxes, biscuits, sequins, train sets, glasses, funny hats, sleeping bags, slinkys, silly-put and fun oils (in case anyone out there ever wants to come over?)
- My dreams
Not a bad list from a list-perspective! Try writing your own! And feel free to send me any examples! I’m a lady that loves any emails, whatever the content! <3
Positivity and Pattie! From Pattie x o x o x
* He won’t be reading it so I’ve forgotten know why I ever wrote that any more! Freddo has a joke about hating everything I say and write! As well as everything else about me